Monday, October 19, 2009

Touched by an Angel

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I have been touched by an angel today and feel the need to share. I have always been a very skeptical person, but today, I have to say, I have changed my way of thinking. Tonight my daughter wanted to go out to dinner and, since Perkins has free kids night, we went there (plus she loves breakfast food so I knew she'd eat well). When we sat down, I noticed a young man, maybe in his mid to late 20's, sitting by himself reading the newspaper and, for whatever reason, I had the thought that he looked like a very kind person (not something I would normally bother to think) and was surprised to see him sitting by himself. As we sat and waited for dinner to arrive, which took forever, my daughter complained about being hungry and she saw the waiter bring the man his food and asked where ours was. Of course, I had to make a smart comment about how they had to kill the cow in the back and it was taking awhile. The man laughed and made a comment about them being slow, but worth it. We made a little small talk back and forth and he said something like, "you must be exhausted by the time you get home with two kids" and I commented about how true that was, especially being just us. Anyway, he finished his dinner and left. Once we were done, we went to the front to pay for our dinner and was told by our waiter that the man had paid for our dinner and had bought the kids some cookies. I never got a chance to say thank you or anything, which makes his kind act seem to come truly from the heart, which was even more touching. Needless to say, I was in tears after that. There was no need for him to do that. I wasn't complaining about being broke or stressed with crazy kids (they were actually very well behaved). I was just having dinner with my kids and sharing a bit of conversation with a stranger. You don't seem to see much in peoples eyes now adays, with everyone always in a rush, absorbed in their own world and in their own stresses, but I saw something in his eyes the moment I saw him sitting at his table. I saw a real aurabella - a real good soul - and I will never forget it.

3 comments:

plainolebob said...

Lisa, acts of random kindness are indeed wonderful, we all can be angels in this manner, Bob and I will usually do these act around Christmas time. More people stress at this time than any time of the year.
Operation "nice" is on of the success stories of random kindness.
We are thrilled that you got to experience it first hand.
People that do this are "Angels"

Amy Ellen said...

I had a friend who also experienced this in a McDonald's drive thru. When she pulled up to pay for her order, the cashier told her that the guy in front of her had paid for her order. Then he handed her a card that said "pass it on." I thought that was such a great idea.

Jeanne Rhea said...

I love to hear these stories---and for something like this to happen when you needed it is the best!

Related Posts with Thumbnails