Sunday, August 10, 2008

I wanna be trendy and cool too!!

So much has been on TV and in the media about being "green" and "eco-friendly" as if it's some sort of new trend like boy bands or hunter green carpet. While I'm glad to see that people are becoming conscious of their impact on the world, I can see where peoples good intentions are causing more harm than good. I see people on TV removing insulation, just to replace with spray in foam or recycled denim, pulling perfectly good carpet, just to replace with non-formaldehyde or recycled carpet. I thought the point is to not create more waste. I've been living a frugal lifestyle in an attempt to simplify my life and to contribute in my own way to our one income family and have found that the frugal lifestyle lends itself well to sustainable, green living. Using a ceiling fan to help cool the house, buying from local farmers, going to Goodwill or a thrift store instead of the mall, and composting are all part of the frugal lifestyle and are also "eco-friendly" ways to be. The best part of all - saving money in the process. It saddens me to see this movement being commercialized and turned into some trend. So, instead of going out and trading in your 2 year old car for a Prius or going to the mall to buy clothes made of organic cotton from Macy's, try to be honest about being green and looking at ways that you can contribute without adding to waste and the capitalization of being "green"

1 comment:

Amy Ellen said...

Wow, I completely agree. This was a great blog posting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails