Thursday, September 17, 2009

Art Travel Case

I got a vintage Samsonite hard train case off of Craigslist the other day for a steal. I'd been looking for one to carry my paint supplies for meetups or classes and was super excited when I got this one. I didn't really care for the color, so I decided to get all crafty. I'm not going to bother with a tutorial for several reasons: 1. I'm using a fabric and don't know how well that's really going to work, 2. It's all basic cut and paste, nothing special, 3. the most important reason, just based on past experience, I'll probably get it finished only to tear it apart in less than a month because I don't like it. I never completely think things through before I start on a project, so a lot of times it can look sloppy so I end up having to tweak it and redo some. It's far from finished and I already know that I'm going to have to redo a few items (the ribbon, paint), but I just couldn't wait. I'll be busy the rest of the week and on the weekend , which means it won't get finished until some time the middle of next week.

This is the original look with the items that I'm going to use on it - a cute cherry fabric, a red polka dot ribbon, and a really cool skull trim.



The "finished" results. I still need to finish painting out the trim and put some rubber feet on it. I also want to varnish over the entire thing, fabric and all, just to help protect it. The pictures really make it look like crap, but it is very cute in person.



Look at how much room I have inside. It still has the original zippered bag, which is conveniently lined in plastic.



Also, still has the original tray.


Not too pretty from behind and on close up, but I wanted you to be able to see the skull trim.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails