Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mother's Day Garden

For Mother's day, my dear, sweet husband extended our flower garden, at my request. I needed a new hobby and my daughter loves flowers, so it worked out great. Well, the garden ended up being way bigger than I had planned and I had a huge plot with only a couple of plants in it. I threw some seeds out, but being as impatient as I am, I had to get some plants. I didn't want your everyday run of the mill plants that you could get at Walmart or Lowes, so I went on craigslist and started looking for people selling plants. Luckily, I found a wonderful, if not strange, woman that had posted some moonflower bushes for free. I really didn't know what they were, but hey, they were free. So, I went to her house to pick up a couple and ended up with a carload of free plants. She works at a local nursery and had tons of plants that she was moving around. So, I got me some moonflower bush, cuttings of sedum and rosemary, Martha Stewart lily, another type of lily, purple oxalis/wood sorrel, pink flowering shamrock, mint (which I've been told I'll regret planting, but I love to smell it), winter blooming camillia, and some bay laurel, which I wasn't able to root, but I got tons of leaves for soups. After I finally got all of that planted, my mother divided her shasta daisies and irises, so I got that going now. I also met two more women, just from going to yard sales and walking neighborhoods, that gave me some salvia, black n blue and fairy queen, anise hyssop, Turk's cap hibiscus, lemon balm, spearmint, verbena, dragon tongue and quite a few other plants. So, I've got a garden full of one of everything. These all multiply, obviously or they wouldn't have had some to give away, so my garden should fill in nice by the end of summer. It's messy right now, but it'll get there.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails