Thursday, September 10, 2009

Feeling Crafty (with tutorial)

After scouring the web and not finding any designs I liked, I made my own ATC storage booklet. I am totally in love with it and already have the presentation board cut up for making several more, just gotta pick up some pretty papers. I've typed up a tutorial so that you can make your own. Please let me know if you have any questions and let me know if you make one and post on your own site so that I can visit and admire.
Enjoy!


1. Gather your supplies. You'll need a heavy weight board, such as a presentation book, book board or chip board (or cut up some cardboard or a shoebox if you have some laying around), a pretty paper for the outside/inside lining of the book, a paper for the interior card holder, a strong heavy duty paste, permanent glue sticks, a ruler, a cutting blade or guillotine, cutting board.



2. Cut the board into a strip measuring 11" long and 3 3/4" wide. Cut the strip into 3 pieces with one of the pieces being 1" wide and the other two pieces being the exact same size. It comes out the some odd measurement, hence why I'm not typing that in. Glue the pieces onto the back of the paper that you are using as a cover, using the heavy duty glue. Make sure to leave approximately 1/8" between the pieces and leaving 1" around the edges. Fold in the 1" trim and cover with another piece of decorative paper on the interior.



3. Fold the interior paper so that it is 3 1/4" wide and glue, making a pocket. I know that cards are only 2.5" wide, but you want the pocket to be wider just in case you make/get some chunky ATC's. Cut into pieces 3" high. Glue the pieces together using the glue stick. Only glue the middle of the paper approximately 1" wide, so that when put together, it makes an accordion.


4. Glue papers onto interior of book cover, leaving a small gap at the bottom, maybe 1/8" from the bottom. Let dry and enjoy.


Side view




Finished (almost, see below)


Things I wish I did different:
-I forgot to add some sort of closure, either a ribbon or clasp. I can probably still add it, but will need to consider that it is mostly complete and don't want to damage the cover.
-I put too many slots inside the book. I should've only put maybe 20, I think I put 30-35. I haven't filled it yet but am certain that it will probably bulge when I do since I like dimension on my cards. I could've also made the spine wide to accommodate all the cards.
-Should've added some sort of cutout to the interior slots to help pull the cards out. Since it is 3" long and I have a gap at the bottom, I only have a tiny little lip at the top to pull the cards out, so it can be difficult.

As I said in the beginning, this is a design I created. I'm sure it's not unique but I would appreciate a credit back if you post tutorial to your site.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails